Rhymes and poems are one of the first things that children learn. The rhythmic poems are short merely contain a deep meaning, and hence help the child learn the language as well every bit empathise the world.
Poems and rhymes are a neat manner to help your child acquire the language. If you are looking for English poems for kids, we have got you covered. Children love learning rhyming poems. A practiced poem with meanings helps your child make sense of the world effectually them. Yous can as well teach your child poems to keep them engaged and develop an interest in learning. In this post, we have come upwardly with some all-time English poems that your kid would love to recite.

41 Brusk English language Poems For Children

Famous Poems For Kids

These are popular poems written past poets widely known.

1. The Moon past Robert Louis Stevenson

The moon has a face like the clock in the hall,
She shines on thieves on the garden wall,
On streets and fields and harbour quays,
And birdies asleep in the forks of the trees.

The squalling true cat and the squeaking mouse,
The howling canis familiaris by the door of the firm,
The bat that lies in bed at noon,
All love to be out by the low-cal of the moon.

But all of the things that belong to the twenty-four hour period
Cuddle to sleep to be out of her way;
And flowers and children close their optics
Till up in the morning the sun shall ascend.

2. Friends by Abbie Farwell Brown

How good to lie a piddling while
And look up through the tree!
The Sky is like a kind big smile
Bent sweetly over me.

The Sunshine flickers through the lace
Of leaves above my head;
And kisses me upon the confront
Similar Mother, before bed.

The Air current comes stealing o'er the grass
To whisper pretty things;
And though I cannot see him laissez passer,
I experience his careful wings.

So many gentle Friends are most
Whom one can scarcely see,
A kid should never feel a fear,
Wherever he may be.

3. Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
Then rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish idea he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

Ane, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did whorl and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

4. If I Were King by A. A. Milne

If I Were King English poem for kids

Image: iStock

I often wish I were a Male monarch,
And then I could do anything.

If only I were King of Spain,
I'd take my hat off in the rain.

If only I were King of France,
I wouldn't brush my hair for aunts.

I think, if I were King of Greece,
I'd push button things off the mantelpiece.

If I were King of Norway,
I'd ask an elephant to stay.

If I were Rex of Babylon,
I'd leave my button gloves undone.

If I were King of Timbuctoo,
I'd think of lovely things to exercise.

If I were Rex of anything,
I'd tell the soldiers, "I'thousand the King!"

5. Maggie And Milly And Molly And May by E.E. Cummings

maggie and milly and molly and may
went down to the beach (to play 1 day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and

milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles: and

may came domicile with a smooth round stone
as small-scale as a earth and every bit large every bit solitary.

For whatever we lose (like a y'all or a me)
it'south e'er ourselves we find in the sea

half dozen. The Eagle past Alfred Lord Tennyson

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ringed with the azure world, he stands.

The wrinkled ocean beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.

7. From A Railway Railroad vehicle by Robert Louis Stevenson

Faster than fairies, faster than witches,
Bridges and houses, hedges and ditches;
And charging along similar troops in a battle
All through the meadows the horses and cattle:
All of the sights of the hill and the plain
Wing as thick equally driving pelting;
And e'er once again, in the wink of an eye,
Painted stations whistle by.
Here is a child who clambers and scrambles,
All by himself and gathering brambles;
Here is a tramp who stands and gazes;
And here is the green for stringing the daisies!
Here is a cart runaway in the road
Lumping along with man and load;
And here is a mill, and there is a river:
Each a glimpse and gone forever!

8. Caterpillar by Christina Rossetti

Caterpillar English poem for kids

Image: Shutterstock

Brown and furry
Caterpillar in a hurry,
Take your walk
To the shady leaf, or stalk,
Or what non,
Which may be the chosen spot.
No toad spy you,
Hovering bird of prey pass by y'all;
Spin and dice,
To live again a butterfly.

9. The Tyger by William Blake

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the dark;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what afar deeps or skies.
Burnt the burn of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the manus, dare seize the burn?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp,
Cartel its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
And h2o'd heaven with their tears:
Did he grinning his piece of work to come across?
Did he who fabricated the Lamb brand thee?

Tyger Tyger burning vivid,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or heart,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

x. Dream Variations past Langston Hughes

To fling my arms wide
In some place of the dominicus,
To whirl and to dance
Till the white day is done.
And so balance at cool evening
Beneath a tall tree
While night comes on gently,
Dark like me–
That is my dream!

To fling my arms broad
In the face of the sun,
Dance! Whirl! Whirl!
Till the quick day is done.
Residual at pale evening . . .
A alpine, slim tree . . .
Dark coming tenderly
Blackness similar me.

An Inquisitive-kid Poem

eleven. What'south a Mystery?

Why do primal holes take no keys
Why exercise fairies accept no tales
Tin can I dial the numbers please
Which is best, boys or girls
What's a mystery?

If I had some other Mum
Would I be another child
If I had another Dad
Where would my old daddy exist
What's a mystery?

Where do grown-ups put the child
That they say that they used to be
Where did my Mummy discover my Dad
In the old days was I really
Just a petty seed
When you lot die does it make yous sad
What'south a mystery?

How many miles is far abroad
Why does daddy end at lights
Doesn't daddy know the way
What is left and is it right
What'southward a mystery?

When we get to holidays
Will I exist comatose
Is Blackpool in London or Japan
Is that baby lamb out there
The same as we had for tea
Why is everybody getting mad
What's a mystery?

Why do grannies dress in lace
Why must children become to bed
Am I in the human race
Is my heed in my head
What's a mystery?

Must you notwithstanding exercise as you are told
Even if yous cry
Why is everybody getting mad
If you lot pray to Heaven
can you practise only what you lot like
Does He love y'all fifty-fifty if you're bad
What'southward a mystery?

— Graham Cunningham

Brusque Poems For Kids

These tin can exist used as pre and primary school poems for kids because they are brusk and easy to sympathise.

12. My Kite

My Kite English poem for kids

Image: iStock

My kite flies high,
I wonder how and why.
With a long tail and wings,
See how my kite swings!
Belongings its thread in my hand,
I feel so happy and 1000.

xiii. The Labrador Puppies

I run into them now,
They neither moo nor meow.
Hands are small, oh that's the mitt!
Will yous look at that tiny petty claw.

Now I plod to match the pace,
Just they pounce to lick my face,
Oh then adorable, beautiful, and fluffy,
My honey buddies, the Labrador puppies!

14. Child Of The Days

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday'due south kid is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday'southward child is loving and giving,
Saturday's kid works hard for a living,
Dominicus'south child is fun and entertaining.
All the days have a child that's amusing.

15. At present We Are 6 by A.A. Milne

When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was about new.
When I was Three
I was inappreciably me.
When I was Four,
I was non much more.
When I was 5,
I was simply alive.
But now I am Six,
I'm every bit clever as clever,
So I call up I'll be vi now for e'er and ever.

16. The Rainbow by Christina Rossetti

The Rainbow English poem for kids

Prototype: iStock

Boats sail on the rivers,
And ships sail on the seas;
But clouds that sheet across the sky
Are prettier than these.
There are bridges on the rivers,
As pretty as yous please;
But the bow that bridges sky,
And overtops the trees,
And builds a road from earth to sky.

17. Rabbit by Mary Ann Hoberman

A rabbit
Bit
A little bit
An itty-bitty
Piddling flake of beet
And then bit
By bit
He chip
Because he liked the gustatory modality of it

18. Virtually the Teeth of Sharks past John Ciardi

The thing almost a shark is—teeth,
One row higher up, one row beneath.

Now take a close look. Do y'all find
It has some other row behind?

Notwithstanding closer—here, I'll hold your chapeau:
Has it a third row behind that?

Now look in and…Look out! Oh my,
I'll never know at present! Well, goodbye.

19. First Grade by William Stafford

In the play Amy didn't want to exist
everyone; so she managed the curtain.
Sharon wanted to be Amy. But Sam
wouldn't let anybody be anybody else
he said it was wrong. "All correct," Steve said,
"I'll exist me but I don't like it."
So Amy was Amy, and nosotros didn't accept the play.
And Sharon cried.

xx. At the Zoo by William Makepeace Thackeray

At the Zoo English poem for kids

Image: Shutterstock

Commencement I saw the white bear, and then I saw the blackness;
Then I saw the camel with a hump upon his back;
Then I saw the grey wolf, with mutton in his maw;
So I saw the wombat waddle in the straw;
Then I saw the elephant a-waving of his trunk;
Then I saw the monkeys—mercy, how unpleasantly they smelt!

21. Snowball by Shel Silverstein

I fabricated myself a snowball
Equally perfect as could be.
I thought I'd keep it as a pet
And let it sleep with me.
I made information technology some pajamas
And a pillow for its caput.
Then last night it ran abroad,
But first it wet the bed.

Animal Poems For Kids

These are funny poems for kids, with a affect of fauna cuteness.

22. Yip-Yip-Woof! by Kristin Frederick

Tiny Chihuahua,
Humongous Dandy Dane.
The difference between them
Is actually quite plain.
Feisty Chihuahua
Will yap-yap and yip.
If he doesn't like you,
Y'all may get a nip!
Gentle Great Dane
Has a powerful bite,
But never would nip you lot.
She'due south much too polite.
Cracking Dane finds the carpeting
A fine place to nap.
Chihuahua loves curling
Right upward in your lap.
Their owners would have
Some cause for dismay
If each dog behaved
In the opposite mode!

23. 3 Little Piggies by Paige

I have three piggies who live in the shed
They sleep in their food bowl and eat in their bed
They drink lots of water which makes them go wee
This usually happens while they are sitting on my knee!!!

24. My All-time Friend by Abby Jenkins

My Best Friend English poem for kids

Image: Shutterstock

Black and white
Thick and furry
Fast as the wind
Always in a hurry
Couple of spots
Rub my ears
Always comes when his proper noun he hears
Loves his ball; information technology'southward his favorite thing
What's most fun for him? Everything!
Corking big tongue that licks my face
Has a crate, his very own space
Big brown optics similar moon pies
He'southward my friend till the very end!

25. My Name Is Pearl by Becky Robbins

Said the bunny to the squirrel,
Are you a male child or a girl?
The squirrel said to the bunny, I am a girl.
Nice to meet you, my proper name is Pearl.

Pearl said to the bunny,
What is your name?
I am as well a girl, and our name is the same.
Do you want to exist friends?
Indeed I do!
I would honey to be friends with yous.

We have the same name, and yet that is funny.
We have the same name, and I'm not a bunny.
Our name is Pearl, and we are both a girl.
Simply only one of us is a squirrel.

26. He And I – A Wolf And A Girl past Jessica Franson

The lovely cool cakewalk blows on me
As nosotros run, he and I
Over meadow, hill, and tree
The scents of flowers die

The water runs over tried, beaten feet
With the many friends yet to come across
Running with heart beats steady
While everything around is a melody

Colors fade, water rushes past
Solid footing under our feet
Nosotros run and birds take the sky
With Wolf friends still to meet

27. String And Ribbon past Reilly Gandell

Thump. thump. thump.
Her tail gently lifts up, and so falls dorsum to globe.
She lies, curled in a ball by the window.
The dominicus shines down on her lustrous black glaze.
Her eyes are closed, letting herself to be dissever from the outside world.
I accomplish out and stroke her gleaming fur.
Her body tenses, and then relaxes to my touch.
I look at her and realize how much I love her.
I call back back to when she was only just a kitten.
How she would run around and play with string and ribbon.
And how even now, she has never completely been able to meow.
Ever a cheery squeak that melts your heart.
She opens her green slits of eyes and peers into my own.
Then she lays back her head and begins her journey back to dreamland.

28. White Sheep

White Sheep English poem for kids

Image: Shutterstock

White sheep, white sheep,
On a bluish hill,
When the wind stops,
Yous all stand still.
When the wind blows,
You walk away wearisome.
White sheep, white sheep,
Where exercise y'all become?

Nature Poems For Kids

These poems are about natural dazzler and the lovely world.

29. Rain by Robert Louis Stevenson

The rain is raining all around,
It falls on field and tree,
It rains on the umbrellas here,
And on the ships at bounding main.

xxx. Trees by Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry oral fissure is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all 24-hour interval,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snowfall has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God tin brand a tree.

31. Past the Stream by Paul Laurence Dunbar

By the stream I dream in calm delight, and picket equally in a glass,
How the clouds like crowds of snowy-hued and white-robed maidens laissez passer,
And the water into ripples breaks and sparkles equally information technology spreads,
Similar a host of armored knights with silver helmets on their heads.
And I deem the stream an emblem fit of human being life may go,
For I observe a mind may sparkle much and yet but shallows testify,
And a soul may glow with myriad lights and wondrous mysteries,
When information technology simply lies a dormant thing and mirrors what it sees.

32. Putting in the Seed by Robert Frost

Putting in the Seed English poem for kids

Prototype: iStock

You come to fetch me from my work to-night
When supper's on the tabular array, and we'll run across
If I can leave off burial the white
Soft petals fallen from the apple tree tree.
(Soft petals, yes, but not and then barren quite,
Mingled with these, smooth bean and wrinkled pea;)
And go along with you ere you lose sight
Of what you came for and become like me,
Slave to a springtime passion for the world.
How Dearest burns through the Putting in the Seed
On through the watching for that early nascence
When, merely as the soil tarnishes with weed,
The sturdy bulb with arched torso comes
Shouldering its way and shedding the earth crumbs.

33. To make a prairie by Emily Dickinson

To brand a prairie it takes a clover and 1 bee,
I clover, and a bee.
And revery.
The revery solitary volition do,
If bees are few.

34. Patience Taught by Nature by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

"O Dreary life!" we weep, "O dreary life!"
And still the generations of the birds
Sing through our sighing, and the flocks and herds
Serenely live while we are keeping strife
With Heaven's true purpose in u.s.a., every bit a pocketknife
Confronting which we may struggle. Ocean girds
Unslackened the dry land: savannah-swards
Unweary sweep: hills watch, unworn; and rife
Meek leaves drop yearly from the forest-copse,
To show, to a higher place, the unwasted stars that pass
In their sometime glory. O thou God of old!
Grant me some smaller grace than comes to these;—
But so much patience, equally a blade of grass
Grows by contented through the estrus and cold.

35. Song by T. S. Eliot

When we came home across the loma
No leaves were fallen from the trees;
The gentle fingers of the breeze
Had torn no quivering cobweb downwards.

The hedgerow bloomed with flowers even so,
No withered petals lay beneath;
Just the wild roses in your wreath
Were faded, and the leaves were brown.

36. Deep in the Quiet Wood by James Weldon Johnson

Deep in the Quiet Wood English poem for kids

Image: Shutterstock

Are you bowed down in heart?
Do you merely hear the clashing discords and the din of life?
Then come up away, come to the peaceful wood,
Hither bathe your soul in silence. Listen! Now,
From out the palpitating confinement
Do you lot not take hold of, even so faint, elusive strains?
They are above, around, within you, everywhere.
Silently listen! Clear, and still more than articulate, they come.
They bubble upwardly in rippling notes, and great in singing tones.
At present let your soul run the whole gamut of the wondrous calibration
Until, responsive to the tonic chord,
It touches the diapason of God's thousand cathedral organ,
Filling earth for you with heavenly peace
And holy harmonies.

37. On the Grasshopper and Cricket by John Keats

The verse of earth is never expressionless:
When all the birds are faint with the hot sunday,
And hide in cooling trees, a phonation will run
From hedge to hedge about the new-mown mead;
That is the Grasshopper's—he takes the lead
In summer luxury,—he has never done
With his delights; for when tired out with fun
He rests at ease below some pleasant weed.
The poetry of world is ceasing never:
On a alone winter evening, when the frost
Has wrought a silence, from the stove there shrills
The Cricket'southward song, in warmth increasing ever,
And seems to i in drowsiness half lost,
The Grasshopper's among some grassy hills.

38. I Hear Y'all Call, Pine Tree by Yone Noguchi

I hear you telephone call, pine tree, I hear you lot upon the hill, by the silent pond where the lotus flowers flower, I hear you call, pine tree.
What is it you telephone call, pine tree, when the rain falls, when the winds blow, and when the stars announced, what is it y'all call, pine tree?
I hear you lot call, pino tree, but I am blind, and do not know how to reach you, pino tree. Who will take me to you, pino tree?

39. Mountains by Riya Shrivastava

Emerges above the land, into their peak.
It is the sky they constantly seek.

From the far distance, we won't discover their height.
A view from the tiptop is a spectacular sight.

Closely positioned to form a range.
Homo eyes won't discover the change.

Non a prisoner to the immediate time
Challenges many, unforgiving climb.

And then much more than across their beauty.
Sheltering species, that'due south their duty.

Mountains are members of the nature we know,
And at the top they oftentimes have a snow.

xl. Flower by Rabindranath Tagore

Flower English poem for kids

Image: Shutterstock

Pluck this little blossom and have information technology, delay not! I fright lest information technology
droop and drop into the grit.

I may non detect a place in thy garland, but honour it with a touch of
pain from thy hand and pluck it. I fear lest the day finish before I am
aware, and the fourth dimension of offer go by.

Though its colour be non deep and its smell exist faint, utilize this flower
in thy service and pluck it while in that location is time.

41. The Beck by Alfred Lord Tennyson

I come from haunts of coot and hern,
I make a sudden sally
And sparkle out among the fern,
To bicker downward a valley.

By thirty hills I bustle down,
Or sideslip between the ridges,
Past twenty thorpes, a little town,
And one-half a hundred bridges.

Till terminal past Philip's subcontract I flow
To join the brimming river,
For men may come and men may go,
But I continue for e'er.

I chatter over stony ways,
In footling sharps and trebles,
I bubble into eddying bays,
I babble on the pebbles.

With many a curve my banks I fret
By many a field and fallow,
And many a fairy foreland set
With willow-weed and mallow.

I chatter, chatter, as I menstruum
To join the brimming river,
For men may come up and men may go,
But I become on for ever.

I wind about, and in and out,
With here a blossom sailing,
And here and there a lusty trout,
And here and there a grayling,

And here and in that location a foamy flake
Upon me, as I travel
With many a silverish waterbreak
Above the gilded gravel,

And draw them all along, and menses
To join the chock river
For men may come and men may go,
But I go along for ever.

I steal by lawns and grassy plots,
I slide past hazel covers;
I motility the sweet forget-me-nots
That grow for happy lovers.

I slip, I slide, I gloom, I glance,
Amid my skimming swallows;
I brand the netted sunbeam dance
Against my sandy shallows.

I murmur under moon and stars
In brambly wildernesses;
I linger past my shingly bars;
I loiter round my cresses;

And out again I curve and flow
To join the chock river,
For men may come up and men may go,
Merely I continue forever.

Read these poems aloud or let your child read them while y'all explain the meaning. Your kid will remember these wonderful poems forever. You may also utilise them to inspire your fiddling i to write their poems.

Did your kid any poems? You lot may share them in the comments section below.

The following two tabs alter content below.

Wedetso Chirhah holds a masters degree in English Literature. He had written content for more than 15 B2B websites and edited school books before joining MomJunction every bit an editor. Wedetso ensures the articles meet the highest editorial standards. He enjoys making content understandable and relatable to readers, and he is a big fan of the versatile em nuance. He besides... more